We all know that having an online side hustle is the new black. But how do you know which side hustle is right for you?! Take our online side hustle personality test and discover if you're more suited to freelancing, matched betting, or one of the other 4 side hustle categories below.
Online Side Hustle Personality Test
Q1: How many hours a week can you dedicate to your online side hustle?
- Less than 10 hours.
- 10 to 20 hours.
- 20 to 30 hours.
- 30+ hours.
Q2: How would you describe your work style?
- Highly creative, with a focus on innovation and ideation.
- Creative, leaning towards spontaneous and inventive approaches.
- Organized, with a focus on structured processes and planning.
- Highly organized, emphasizing efficiency and attention to detail.
Q3: What are your primary interests or hobbies?
- Technology and coding.
- Writing and content creation.
- Art and design.
- Teaching and sharing knowledge
Q4: Are you looking for something that involves strategic decision-making and calculation?
- Yes! I enjoy strategic decision-making.
- I'm open to it and can handle strategic thinking when needed.
- I prefer activities with less emphasis on strategy.
- I'm not particularly interested in strategic decision-making.
Q5: Are you interested in creating a source of passive income?
- Yes, passive income is appealing to me.
- No, I prefer active income where I trade time for money.
- I'm open to the idea but uncertain how to achieve it.
- I’m actively looking for passive income opportunities.
Q6: What's the preferred lifespan of your online side hustle?
- Short-term project.
- Medium-term, a few years.
- Long-term, potentially indefinitely.
- I'm not sure. It depends on the type of side hustle I choose to do.
Q7: How tech-savvy are you?
- Not tech-savvy at all.
- Somewhat tech-savvy.
- Moderately tech-savvy.
- Highly tech-savvy.
Q8: What's the financial goal for your side hustle?
- Supplement my main income.
- Generate a full-time income.
- Achieve financial independence.
- Build up some savings.
Q9: What type of content do you enjoy creating?
- Written content (articles, blogs).
- Visual content (graphics, videos).
- Audio content (podcasts, voiceovers).
- I enjoy creating a mix of different types of content.
Q10: How important is it for you to receive feedback and continuously improve?
- Very important! I'm always looking to improve.
- Somewhat important. I'm open to feedback but not obsessed with it.
- It's not a top priority for me.
- I'm self-critical and constantly seek ways to improve.
Results: What's your perfect online side hustle?
Based on your answers, one of the following could be your perfect online side hustle. Click a side hustle to find out more:
Mostly (a) and (b)
You know exactly what to say and how to say it. Consider Freelance Writing or Content Creation.
Mostly (a) and (c)
Whether you prefer a hands-on or hands-off approach, you're a salesman at heart. Explore E-commerce and Dropshipping.
Mostly (b) and (c)
You're a Creative who should be able to use your existing skills to start a thriving hustle. Check out Graphic Design and Digital Art.
Mostly (a) and (d)
They say that "those who can't, teach". But if that's the case, why not turn it into a successful online side hustle and do some Online Tutoring.
If you answered a mix of options (a) to (d)
1. Freelance Writing or Content Creation
A freelancing side hustle is a great fit for anyone with a strong interest in writing and content creation, blogging or writing articles. It's also great if you can't dedicate a set number of hours to your side hustle.
And because you'll be working for clients, you'll have an indicator of areas where you can improve your work or process. This makes freelancing a fantastic option for those who value continuous improvement and feedback.
- Writing skills: Freelance writing or content creation requires a flair for writing and an ability to express your ideas clearly.
- Independence: It allows you to work independently, whether as a blogger, article writer, or creating content for websites and social media.
- Flexible time commitment: You can choose the number of hours you want to dedicate, making it adaptable to your schedule and preferences.
- Continuous learning: Content creators often seek to improve their skills and adapt to changing trends in digital marketing and content creation.
- Potential earnings: Earnings can vary, depending on the type and amount of work you take on but with dedication and quality work, it's possible to generate a part-time income from a freelancing side hustle.
- Portfolio building: You may need to build a portfolio of your work to attract clients or secure writing gigs. This is where you can include wider offerings such as proofreading or scripts for podcasting.
- Marketing your services: Recommendations and repeat custom from satisfied clients will only carry you so far as a freelance writer. You'll also need to market your services via social media, a personal website, or a platform like Upwork.
- Skill development: Depending on your chosen niche (e.g., blog writing, technical writing, copywriting), you may need to develop specialized skills.
- Client management: Freelancers often interact with clients and need to manage deadlines and expectations effectively.
Freelance Writing or Content Creation is an excellent choice for those who have a passion for writing, want flexibility in their work hours, and are open to continuous improvement in their craft. It allows individuals to leverage their writing skills to generate income online, making it a versatile online side hustle option.
2. E-commerce and Dropshipping
This online side hustle is ideal for individuals who are willing to dedicate a substantial number of hours per week and are tech-savvy enough to find their way around the internet.
Ecommerce and dropshipping are particularly appealing to those who are comfortable with taking financial risks and are interested in finding out more about how to generate a passive income.
- Online store ownership: E-commerce involves setting up and managing an online store in order to sell physical or digital products to customers worldwide.
- Dropshipping model: Dropshipping is a business model within e-commerce where you partner with suppliers to directly ship products to customers. This means you won't have any overheads because you won't be holding inventory.
- Independence and flexibility: You have the freedom to choose your products, set the prices, and create your own marketing strategies.
- Financial potential: With effective product selection and marketing, e-commerce and dropshipping have the potential to generate substantial income.
- Market research: Success often involves market research and competitor analysis, identifying profitable niches, and staying updated on consumer trends.
- Customer service: Managing customer inquiries, problems such as out-of-stock or damaged orders, and ensuring timely delivery is essential.
- Learning curve: Understanding e-commerce platforms, product sourcing, and marketing strategies can require a learning curve.
- Initial investment: Depending on your niche and marketing strategy, there may be initial costs for website setup, advertising, and product sourcing.
- Competition: E-commerce can be competitive, so differentiation and effective marketing are key. What can you do to make your side hustle stand out from the crowd?
- Time commitment: Success often requires significant time investment, especially during the initial setup phase.
Overall, "E-commerce and Dropshipping" is a promising option for those who are willing to invest time and effort into building an online store, managing products, and engaging with customers.
It offers the potential for a substantial income and the independence to make key business decisions. However, individuals should be prepared for a learning curve and initial investments in their e-commerce venture.
3. Graphic Design and Digital Art
This online side hustle is an excellent match for individuals who have a strong interest and skill in art and design and like creating visual content.
It's particularly suitable for those who are willing to dedicate varying hours each week and are open to continuous improvement and feedback.
- Creative Design: Graphic designers and digital artists create visual content, including logos, illustrations, web design, and digital artwork.
- Independence: You have the freedom to work on design projects independently or as a freelancer.
- Flexible Time Commitment: You can choose the number of hours you want to dedicate, making it adaptable to your schedule and preferences.
- Digital Skills: Proficiency in design software like Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, or digital art tools is essential.
- Portfolio Building: Building a strong portfolio is crucial to showcase your design work and attract clients.
- Client Projects: Freelance graphic designers often work on various client projects, from branding to marketing materials.
- Skill Development: To excel in graphic design or digital art, continuous skill development and staying updated on design trends are essential.
- Client Management: Freelancers may need to communicate with clients, manage project deadlines, and ensure client satisfaction.
- Marketing Your Services: Effective self-promotion and marketing may be necessary to attract clients or secure design projects.
- Creative Challenges: Design projects can vary widely, from corporate branding to artistic expression, requiring adaptability in your design style.
Graphic Design and Digital Art is a clear route for those with a creative flair and a passion for visual design. It provides the opportunity to showcase your artistic skills, work on diverse projects, and earn a side income while working on projects you're passionate about.
4. Online Tutoring
This online side hustle is an ideal fit for individuals who have a strong interest in teaching and sharing knowledge and like to work with a mix of content, such as visual, written, and/or audio.
It's particularly well-suited for those who are willing to dedicate varying hours each week and are committed to long-term educational endeavors.
- Teaching expertise: Online tutors or course creators have expertise in a particular subject or skill and are willing to share that knowledge with others.
- Flexibility: You can choose your teaching schedule and adapt it to your availability.
- Independence: Online tutors can work independently, while course creators design and publish their educational content.
- Digital tools: Familiarity with online teaching platforms, video conferencing, and course creation software may be necessary.
- Continuous learning: Staying updated on developments in your subject area is essential for effective teaching and course creation.
- Student engagement: Effective communication and engagement with students are key to successful online teaching. Be prepared to receive and answer questions throughout the week.
- Content development: Course creators need to plan and design educational content, including lectures, assignments, and assessments.
- Marketing your courses: Effective promotion may be required to attract students to your courses. You can do this on Youtube or a platform such as Teachable.
- Feedback and improvement: A willingness to receive feedback and continuously improve your teaching methods is important.
- Building a student base: Online tutors may need to build a base of students through referrals or online platforms.
Online Tutoring is a rewarding option for those with expertise in a particular field or subject. It allows you to share your knowledge, help others learn, and make money at the same time.
Whether you choose to tutor one-on-one or create online courses, this side hustle can be both fulfilling and financially rewarding.
5. Matched betting
This online side hustle is a suitable option for strategic thinkers; anyone with an analytical mindset for managing betting strategies.
It's an awesome way to make money online with users reporting earning $1,000s from this side hustle per month from home. It's great if you can't dedicate a set number of hours every week.
In matched betting, you cover all outcomes of a sports event, which means you're in control. Matched betting is one of the US’s fastest-growing side hustles with over 400,000 users in the US and Europe.
Use a matched betting site like ProfitDuel for help, information, and software. Start your ProfitDuel free trial today.
- Risk management: Matched betting involves using betting offers from bookmakers to guarantee a profit, making it a low-risk/risk-free form of betting.
- Flexibility: You can choose when to place bets and how much time to dedicate to matched betting.
- Independence: Matched betting can be done independently from the comfort of your own home.
- Financial potential: With effective matched betting strategies, you can consistently generate profits.
- Analytical skills: An ability to understand and execute matched betting strategies is crucial.
- Continuous learning: Staying updated on bookmaker offers and betting opportunities is important for success.
- Learning curve: You'll learn how to place multiple bets, calculate stakes, and navigate online sportsbook offers.
- Initial bankroll: A small starting bankroll is typically required, although profits can be reinvested.
- Bookmaker account management: Matched bettors often need to manage multiple bookmaker accounts to access offers.
- Legal and tax implications: Be aware of the legal and tax implications of betting in your region. For example, do online sportsbooks operate in your state?
Overall, "Matched Betting" is a potential option for analytical minds who love to think strategically. However, anyone can pick it up, especially with the help of ProfitDuel's training and offer guides.
It's a side hustle that can be done from home and offers the potential for financial independence. However, individuals should be aware of the learning curve and legal considerations associated with betting.
6. Affiliate marketing
This online side hustle is great if you're looking for a long-term option and have a keen interest in earning commissions through referrals. Affiliate marketing is particularly appealing to those who are willing to dedicate varying hours each week and put in varying amounts of effort in terms of content and marketing.
- Promotion of products/services: Affiliate marketers promote products or services on behalf of companies and earn commissions on successful sales or leads.
- Independence: You have the flexibility to choose the products or services you want to promote and the strategies you want to employ.
- Digital marketing skills: Familiarity with digital marketing techniques, including content creation, social media, email marketing, and SEO, can be valuable.
- Passive income potential: Successful affiliate marketing can lead to the creation of passive income streams.
- Analytics and optimization: Monitoring performance metrics and optimizing marketing efforts is key to success.
- Product selection: Choosing the right products or services to promote and aligning them with your target audience is crucial.
- Content creation: Affiliate marketers often create content, such as blog posts, reviews, or videos, to drive traffic and conversions.
- Compliance: Be aware of affiliate program terms and conditions and comply with regulations regarding affiliate marketing.
- Competitive landscape: Affiliate marketing can be competitive, so finding a niche or unique angle can be advantageous.
Overall, "Affiliate Marketing" is a promising option for those who are interested in online marketing, willing to put effort into promotion, and aspire to earn commissions through successful referrals.
It offers the potential for both active and passive income streams, making it a versatile online side hustle. However, individuals should be prepared to invest time in content creation and marketing efforts to maximize their earnings.
Did you know that ProfitDuel has an affiliate program?
You don't have to reinvent the wheel, or yourself when it comes to starting an online side hustle. Instead, take a look at your existing skills, personality, and passions. Side hustles are hard work (it's all about the grind after all!) but finding the perfect one for you doesn't have to be stressful. Scroll up to the top, take our online side hustle personality test and find your calling.