Being a stay-at-home mom can be hugely rewarding. You get to spend time with your kids and watch them grow and thrive. You’re there to wave them off to school on a morning and meet them off the bus when they get home. It’s rewarding in terms of family time and witnessing milestones. However, it’s not massively rewarding financially…
In fact, it’s one of America’s most underpaid jobs, mostly bringing in an annual salary of $0. But you do so much! So. many. jobs. On top of providing round-the-clock childcare, stay-at-home moms also cook, clean, nurse, do admin, laundry, etc. The list is pretty much endless. And it’s all for free! Insure.com’s Mother’s Day Index 2023 found that momming is worth an annual salary $133,400.
This is where the need for a side hustle comes in. It makes sense. You want to bring in some money and a traditional 9 to 5 doesn’t work for you. Now, the ideas below probably won’t make you millions, but that’s ok. A side hustle is a great way to bring in money while fitting in around your other responsibilities. And as a stay-at-home mom, there isn’t much time left outside of the 24/7 you’re already on call.
Let’s take a look at 7 side hustles for stay-at-home moms:
7 simple side hustles for stay-at-home moms
1. Product testing
Brands need people to test their products. Testers try products out and provide feedback. The brands can then improve their products based on the feedback and continue to market. Product testing is a vital part of consumerism. As a product tester, you’re providing a valuable service.
So what’s in it for you?
Benefits and rewards
Product testers can:
- Receive compensation or be rewarded for participation.
- Get access to exclusive and pre-release products.
- Influence product development.
- Build their personal brand as a credible source of information.
Clearly, money would be the ideal comeback for a side hustle, but you could also receive gift cards or merchandise as a reward. Rewards will vary, so check out the small print first.
Finding product testing opportunities
As with most side hustle suggestions, you can choose a niche. For example, if you only test baby and children’s products, you can build your brand as an expert in that field. Then think about how to branch out with your product tester side hustle. Blogs, social media, an e-commerce site; an empire! Built it and they will come. Become the place to go for information on a specific topic.
But we’re getting ahead. First of all, you’ll need to do the following:
- Sign up with a market research site such as American Consumer Panel or Testerup. Sometimes these sites double up as online survey hubs, so look for one that offers product testing at home.
- Complete any surveys or screener emails you get to see if you qualify for current testing jobs. For example, if a toy company is looking for testers, they’ll probably want someone with kids. In that case, people without kids won’t be eligible.
- If you are eligible to test, the brand will send you the product. Again, what you need to do and how they want you to present your review will depend on the brand you’re working with. Make sure you follow their guidelines so that you qualify for the rewards.
- Take notes while you’re testing. By documenting your process, you’ll have a record of your experience.
- Once you’ve tested thoroughly, write your review and submit it for payment. Make sure you’re honest and provide constructive criticism where needed.
Things to think about
Before you jump in, be aware that some people may try to scam you in order to get your details. Avoid this by making sure you only use a reputable product testing platform. Do your research and read reviews by other testers before you sign up for anything.
As with any side hustle, you might face a few challenges. For example, if a product doesn’t work to the expected standards, you’ll need to write a negative review with professionalism. Have a bit of tact. You’ll also have to avoid potential biases or conflicting interests. It’s your job to be as fair and balanced as possible.
2. Matched betting
Matched betting is a side hustle that thousands of people across the world are using to make money online. It’s a risk-free betting strategy that lets you profit from the free bet offers put out by online sportsbooks. And the best thing? You don’t need to know anything about sports or gambling.
How does matched betting work?
By placing two bets on the same event, you can remove the risk of the bet and use the generous free bets offered by sportsbooks in order to lock in a profit.
Please keep in mind that while matched betting eliminates the risks associated with traditional gambling, human error can be a factor. Always make sure to check the amounts you input, the terms of individual sportsbook offers, and odds. Mistakes can be costly, so take your time!
Benefits of matched betting
One of the main benefits of matched betting is that it easily fits into your schedule. Once you’ve picked up the basics, you can do it as much or as little as you want.
But you’re not alone when it comes to taking a leap into the world of matched betting. ProfitDuel has been created to take you through the entire process with all the training, tips, and tools you’ll need. We’ve also got heaps of support to give you, too!
Love writing? Know a lot about something? Want to get the creative juices flowing? Start a blog and write what you know. Even if ‘all’ you know is being a stay-at-home mom, that’s your specialist subject and it could be a strong foundation for a potential side hustle.
With time and focus, you can turn your passion for writing into a profitable side hustle by starting a blog and then monetizing it through on-page advertising or affiliate marketing links.
Starting a blog
The first thing you need to do is choose a niche. And there are so many to choose from! One of the best ways to pick a topic is by asking yourself a couple of questions:
- What do you know lots about that you can also write lots about?
- Are there lots of people wanting to know more about a certain subject?
- What knowledge can you pass on to your reader?
- Are there (m)any opportunities to promote a product or service? This will be how you monetize your blog in the future.
Setting up your blog
Once you’ve decided what to write about, it’s time to set up your blog. Where is this blog going to live? You can get started for free with a range of hosting platforms such as WordPress, Squarespace, or Wix. There are paid add-ons, upgrades, and alternatives, so do some research to find the best fit for your side hustle.
Creating engaging content
This is where the magic happens. And a bit of work…Blogging is fun, but it also requires a bit of planning, time, and organization. And as a stay-at-home mom, time isn’t always on your side. But this is one of the best things about having a blog side hustle. You can work on it when you have time. As long as you create and post engaging content on a regular basis, your blog will grow. That “regular basis” can fit into your existing schedule.
One of the most important things to think about when creating your content is how you’re going to present it. There are different types of blog posts. Let’s look at a few now:
- Evergreen content is content which is informative and educational. It answers the biggest and most common questions that people have.
- Feature pieces, such as interviews with people who are related to your nice, are a great addition. They can grow your credibility, your brand, and your reach.
- Curated content is an awesome way to gather different elements from like-minded creators or sources. For example, you could create a curated post which showcases 5 essential items you need on a road trip and then link to other sites.
- Interactive content such as polls and quizzes is a fun way to encourage engagement on your blog. This type of post can also help you find out more about your target audience which you can use when monetizing your blog.
- Topical content is a great way to jump on current trends and news stories. And it can help to drive traffic to your blog. However, don’t spend too much time on this type of post because it could be out of date by the next day. This is why evergreen content is so important.
- Sponsored content is that which a brand pays you to write and post about them or their products. Make sure you’ve tried the product or service out for yourself and write an honest, informative post. Payment will usually be based on how many readers you have.
We’ll look at other ways to monetize your blog in a moment.
Promoting your blog
Now that your blog is up and running, it’s time to get people visiting! Optimize your content so it appears on the first page when people use search engines. To do this, you’ll need to look at frequently searched keywords and questions and then make sure your content focuses on and answers those. There’s a lot more that goes into search engine optimization, (SEO) but it’s something you can go back to and improve on. The most important thing is writing quality content and then publishing it so that you can start to grow your digital presence.
Monetizing your blog
We mentioned sponsored posts a bit earlier, but there are other ways to monetize your blog:
Affiliate marketing can be a side hustle of its own. However, we’ll look at it in relation to blogging. The easiest way to monetize your blog through affiliate marketing is by adding a URL to your content. The URL will link to a relevant product or service. If someone signs up for the service or makes a purchase after clicking on your link, you will receive a commission.
Only act as an affiliate for something you’ve used and liked. This gives your blog authenticity and credibility. It also ensures relevancy for your readers. Terms vary depending on the program so make sure you find the right fit for you.
Advertising is a great way to monetize your blog. Showcase relevant businesses or products using Google AdSense or joining an ad network. Use AdSense to run ads from the Google Display network. Google will pay you for any clicks or impressions the ads get when displayed on your site.
First off, don’t worry. You don’t need to write the next great American novel for this one. Instead, you can use a self-publishing platform like Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP) to make money your way.
Making a book
Use a platform like Bookbolt to make your book. An ideal type of book for this kind of side hustle is one which requires minimal input to create. Here are some examples of low- and medium-content books:
- Sketchbooks are the ultimate low-content book because they’re full of blank pages!
- Coloring books
- Lined paper for journals or lists
- Grid notebooks for recording mathematical or scientific data
- Puzzle books such as crosswords or word searches
- Dot grid notebooks for bullet journaling
- Weekly or monthly planners and organizers
You can create a low- and medium-content book using existing templates for the inside. Then it’s up to you how hard you want to go with the cover. But the outside of your book is where you can unleash your creativity and inject your side hustle’s brand.
Publishing and promoting your book
Once you’re happy with your book, it’s time to publish it. Create a KDP account using your Amazon account and then upload your book, making sure it meets the guidelines. Set your price, categories and keywords, review everything, and hit publish!
At this point, you can see this as passive income or you can hustle. Promote your book through social media, email lists, and other marketing channels to reach the biggest audience. Keep an eye on sales and reviews to see how successful your side hustle is.
Are you a crafter? Unleash your creativity and turn your hobby into a profitable side hustle by selling handmade crafts on sites like Etsy.
Make money on Etsy
From crocheted plant hangers to hand-stamped prints or knitted sweaters. The possibilities are endless. Anything you can think to make could bring in money. You just need to find a profitable niche. Research similar small businesses and analyze what is or isn’t working for them.
Setting up a shop
Once you’ve identified the focus of your side hustle, it’s time to start working on your products. Then, you’ll need to set up your online shop. There are so many platforms to pick from, but as I mentioned earlier, Etsy is one of the biggest. However, it does come with higher listing fees than other sites, so please do your own research to find the right site for you.
Creating high-quality products that people want to buy isn’t the end of the story. Once you’ve done that, you also need to:
- Optimize your product listings with catchy and honest information.
- Add good product photography.
- Attract potential customers by marketing your Etsy store. You can do this via social media or SEO.
- Engage with potential and existing customers through good customer service and reviews. You can also communicate with your purchasing community on social media.
- Encourage repeat custom through an email newsletter.
6. Online surveys
I talked about product testing earlier, but another type of market research side hustle is online surveys. Online surveys are questionnaires designed to gather data and opinions from a specific demographic. Companies use them as a cost-effective way to reach a broad audience. Participants are rewarded for their time and feedback. How depends on the company you use but there’s the potential to turn online surveys into a side hustle.
Benefits of participating in online surveys
Online surveys offer a fantastic way to add to your income. And it’s something you can do as and when you get time. The convenience of online surveys makes it perfect for stay-at-home moms just like you. Busy through the day? Grab 5 minutes before you go to bed and earn some money.
On top of the physical rewards, you’ll also get to use your voice to shape products and services. Let those big companies know what you think about them. And get paid to do it!
Online survey tips
Here are a few tips to follow to make the most out of your online survey side hustle:
- Set a goal. This can help you stay motivated, whether you work on this side hustle daily or a few times a week. Having a figure in mind that you want to hit is a great way to approach online surveys.
- Identify a reputable and reliable survey platform. Check out Swagbucks or Prime Opinion, although there are loads available.
- Set a time limit. It’s easy to get stuck in survey loops. Especially when you’re bouncing out due to ineligibility. Therefore, it’s a good idea to allocate a specific timeframe to this side hustle. Once you’ve hit your quota, take a break!
- Maximize earnings by joining multiple survey platforms. This way, you’ll increase the potential for a steady flow of survey invitations and earning opportunities.
- Be honest in your answers. If you’re not and you get found out, you could lose out on the rewards.
7. Reselling clothes
If you’re anything like me, you’re drowning in laundry. Piles of endless laundry. And then before it makes it back into the closet, the kids have grown out of it. They need new clothes. And it’s off to Goodwill.
Charity starts at home. Selling unwanted clothes is an awesome and accessible side hustle. Think about it - you get to declutter your home while earning extra money.
How to sell old clothes
Start by sorting and preparing your unwanted clothes. Take a look at your closet. Identify salable items and then organize and categorize for easy listing. Once you know what you’re selling, it’s time to get this side hustle hustlin’.
Choose your platform
Create your listing
Write eye-catching titles and truthful product descriptions. Highlight any unique selling points and set competitive yet profitable prices.
Show off your clothes
Looks matter. Take a bit of time to style your outfits and show the items in a visually appealing way. Switch it up by using a mix of images: incorporate both lifestyle and flat-lay photography.
Selling and customer service
Interacting with potential buyers and addressing their inquiries is a huge part of this side hustle. Add the human experience wherever you can to encourage sales. Negotiate on price, answer questions, and be professional in your tone. When it comes to making a sale, the platform you use should already have a secure payment process in place. Make sure to have bank info, etc sorted at signup. Then all that’s left to do is get the item to the buyer asap.
Build your brand
Any interaction you have with a customer (potential or actual) is a great opportunity for your side hustle. Identify your unique selling proposition (USP) and grow your personal brand. Encourage satisfied customers to leave positive feedback for other people to see.
What skills and experience are needed to start a successful side hustle?
The great thing about a side hustle is that you don’t need any special skills or experience. Any skills you do have can be built on. And you will learn new skills as you go. It's more about identifying your strengths and passions and finding the right opportunity that aligns with them.
However, having certain skills can certainly give your side hustle a head start:
- Communication skills: Good communication skills are essential for any side hustle. Whatever side hustle you do, being able to effectively communicate with clients or customers is crucial for building relationships and ensuring customer satisfaction.
- Time management skills: Side hustles typically require you to manage your time effectively, especially when balancing it with other commitments. Being able to prioritize tasks, set deadlines, and stay organized will help you make the most of your limited time and achieve your goals.
- Social media management skills: Marketing is a vital part of any side hustle. It’s how you interact with your audience and promote your business. Utilize popular social media platforms like Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest and follow their best practice to increase your visibility.
- Technical skills: Depending on the nature of your side hustle, having technical skills can be a huge advantage. For example, if you're interested in graphic design, web development, or digital marketing, having relevant technical skills will give you a competitive edge in the online market.
- Financial management skills: Knowing how to budget, track your income and expenses, and understand basic financial concepts will help you make informed decisions and ensure you're maximizing your profits.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of having a side hustle as a stay-at-home mom?
There are many advantages and some potential disadvantages to having a side hustle as a stay-at-home mom. Make sure you weigh things up before you start to find the right fit for you.
- Financial independence: A side hustle can provide you with a sense of financial independence. It allows you to contribute to your family's income and have your own spending money. This extra income can be used for savings, paying off debt, or treating yourself to something special.
- Flexible schedule: One of the biggest advantages of having a side hustle as a stay-at-home mom is the ability to work on your own schedule. You can choose to work during nap times, evenings, or whenever it's most convenient for you. This flexibility allows you to balance your family responsibilities while earning extra income.
- Personal growth: Having a side hustle can lead to personal growth and development. You'll acquire new skills, improve your time management abilities, and gain valuable experience in running a business. This newfound confidence and knowledge can positively impact other areas of your life as well.
- Pursue your passion: Starting a side hustle gives you the opportunity to pursue your passion and turn it into a profitable venture. Whether it's writing, crafting, tutoring, or offering a service, you can monetize your skills and interests.
- Time constraints: Balancing a side hustle with household duties and childcare responsibilities can be challenging, potentially leading to feelings of exhaustion and burnout.
- Limited Availability: Depending on the nature of the side hustle, opportunities for work may be limited due to the time constraints imposed by the primary responsibilities of being a stay-at-home mom.
- Increased Stress: Trying to juggle multiple roles and responsibilities can lead to heightened stress levels, affecting both personal and family life.
- Lack of social interaction: A side hustle might be an isolating experience for some stay-at-home moms, as it may limit opportunities for social interaction and networking outside the home environment.
Side hustles for stay-at-home moms: a recap
Starting a side hustle is a great way to make money online as a stay-at-home mom. Time is your most valuable commodity, so make it pay. By choosing a profitable niche, developing a strong skill set, and implementing effective marketing strategies, you can maximize your earning potential and add to your household income. Find what works for you and start your online side hustle today!