Making money doesn’t just happen between the hours of 9 and 5. Side hustles are becoming increasingly popular, with nearly two in five (39%) U.S. adults now earning money outside of their main job.
Side hustles can fit around your existing career and be worked on whenever you’ve got time. Evenings, days off, weekends…Whoever said Sunday was the day of rest, wasn’t built to hustle. With a weekend side hustle, you can be your own boss and work on your terms. With a little planning and determination, you can turn your free time into a profitable money-making opportunity.
In this post, we’ll look at both online and offline weekend side hustles. From matched betting to furniture flipping, the possibilities are endless when it comes to earning extra income on the side. So, if you're ready to boost your bank account, keep reading for some easy and profitable weekend side hustle suggestions.
Online weekend side hustles
The world is literally at our fingertips. How many of us spend the day with our phones in our hands? Or an iPad within reaching distance? Or a laptop sitting open on the couch next to us? According to research conducted by Statista, almost 299 million Americans used the internet in 2022. But what are we doing with it?
The internet is an invaluable asset and has transformed the side hustle landscape. Its global reach makes it easy to find employers or customers. By breaking down geographical barriers, your skills and services could make you money across the world. All without you leaving your front door. So make your free time pay with one of these online weekend side hustles.
Content creation is in high demand. Which is fantastic for content creators…Freelancing is a flexible way to earn money online. Depending on the number of clients you pick up and the amount of work you agree to do, freelancing can easily be done as a weekend side hustle.
There are so many freelancing opportunities around that your existing skillset is bound to come in useful. Whether you're a writer, graphic designer, or skilled in social media management, there are opportunities to showcase your talents and make money. Here are some topics to explore:
Writing: Freelance writing opportunities include blogging, copywriting, and translating gigs. Set up your own website or use a platform like Upwork, Freelancer, or Fiverr to showcase your services to potential clients.
Social media management: Many businesses require assistance in managing their social media accounts. As a freelancer, you’ll be paid to schedule posts, create content, and engage with followers on their behalf.
Graphic design: Use your existing skills to make money as a freelance designer. As well as the platforms mentioned above, sites like Dribbble and FlexJobs are great places to find freelance graphic design side jobs.
Matched betting is the new side hustle opportunity hitting America. It’s a method of turning free bets and promotions offered by online sportsbooks into a guaranteed profit. And while you’ll need a sportsbook account, it’s 100% not gambling. Sound too good to be true? Here's a quick look at how it works:
How does matched betting work?
Think about a football game: Team A plays Team B. Team A wins. Now, if you’d placed a bet on Team B, you’d have lost your money. Not when you do matched betting instead.
Matched betting involves placing bets on both possible outcomes of a sporting event, ensuring that you cover all possible outcomes. And by utilizing free bets and promotional offers, you can secure a profit regardless of the event's outcome.
Matched betting essentials
- A starting bankroll. Think of this as an investment in your matched betting success. The bigger your starting pot, the more profit you can make. And more quickly, too.
- Online sportsbook accounts.
- A matched betting calculator.
- A ProfitDuel account! ProfitDuel is the home of matched betting in the US. It has software, guides, and all the resources you need to help you make money with matched betting. Start your FREE ProfitDuel trial today
Online tutoring is a rewarding way to help others while earning money. And the great thing about having this as a weekend side hustle is that the people you’re targeting won’t be in class on the weekend.
Choose a subject you're knowledgeable in. Your level of expertise is going to help you with this side job, so consider your existing skill set. Common options include math, modern foreign languages, music lessons or specialized subjects like coding.
There’s a difference between offering online courses and tutoring, so we’ll look at the latter here. Online tutoring is usually done on a one-to-one basis via a website like Preply and Superprof. Choose your platform, create a profile, set your fees, and connect with students who need your help.
This is also a great one to do if you're currently studying or have recently graduated. You're right in the center of all the best information! Check out more side hustles for college students.
Offline weekend side hustles
Online side hustles are great if you don’t mind spending your time sitting in front of a laptop. However, if you’re more hands-on and want to get away from the screen, here are some suggestions for offline side jobs.
This first one is pretty old school but why fix what ain’t broke? If you have a license, driving holds so many possibilities: Deliver food, run errands, transport people or deliver groceries.
- Deliver parcels when you sign up to Amazon Flex (earn $18-25* an hour) or apply to UPS ($16-41).
- Sign up to DoorDash ($2-$10+ per delivery) or Postmates ($20.24 /hr in NYC July 2023) to deliver alcohol and take-out food.
- Take people from A to B as an Uber driver ($19 - $31).
Make sure you are eligible to work as a delivery driver. Terms will depend on the company you work for but will be along these lines:
- Be at least 18 years old and able to work in the United States.
- Have a smartphone.
- Have access to a vehicle and a valid license.
- Able to lift up to 40 pounds with or without assistance.
*Figures are taken from company websites or based on average earnings from Glassdoor (and similar). Actual earnings will depend on factors such as location, tips, and how long it takes you to complete deliveries.
The hospitality sector is fantastic for weekend side hustles and part time options. However, jobs like waiting tables, bartending, and leading tours are ‘real’ jobs. Which means that you have to show up at a particular time. You can’t pick this gig up and put it down when you want. However, if you’re already okay with allocating your weekend to a side hustle, this shouldn’t be a problem.
With a maximum of 64 hours available to you between finishing work at 5 p.m. on a Friday and starting the new week on Monday at 9 a.m., the weekend is a great time to run your side hustle. According to the job search site, Talent.com, the average hourly rate within the hospitality sector is $16.88 (based on 10,000 salaries).
If you’re someone who scours Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace for fun, this could be the perfect weekend side hustle for you. Stop flipping tables in frustration and start doing it for money.
Tips for flipping side hustle success
Do some research into current trends before you go looking for furniture. You want to know what’s in vogue so you can flip it quickly and easily. Once you’ve got some key items on your look-for list, it’s time to get looking…
How much effort do you want to put in? This isn’t a stupid question. You can literally get items for free or as little money as possible and then resell them. Without doing anything to them. Or, you can give an old object an entirely new lease of life.
One man’s trash is another man’s treasure, which is why you could start your flipping side hustle for pretty much nothing. While people are keen to spend on something they want, they’re also quick to get rid of something when they don’t want it. You can grab potential upselling items from thrift stores, garage sales, or classified ads.
Think about transportation. How are you going to get these pieces of furniture to where you need them? Do you have your own car or van, or is it a job for U-Haul? Factor this into your calculations when it comes to working out the potential profit.
Get creative when you fix up your furniture. Again, keep current trends in mind, but this is where you can put your stamp on things too. Watch videos on YouTube and make sure you have the right tools for any job.
List it! Sell it! Flip it! List your item for free on sites like Facebook, Craigslist, or eBay. Remember to optimize your listing to attract potential customers. Include photos of multiple angles, style it up to show potential, and add an informative description, including details and dimensions.
How do I ensure that my weekend side hustle is profitable?
When your time is limited, it’s even more valuable. This is why it’s so important to make sure that your side hustle is worth it. Profitable. But how do you know? Here are some tips to help you maximize your earnings and turn your weekend side hustle into a success:
- Choose the right side hustle: Sounds obvious, but it’s important. Think about what you enjoy doing and your strengths. This will make it easier for you to stay motivated and put in the necessary effort to make it profitable.
- Market research: Before you dive in, take a look around. Identify your competitors, gaps in the market, and your target audience. Make sure you understand their needs.
- Set achievable goals: What do you want to get out of your side hustle? Think about your financial goals or a target number of clients. Having clear objectives will keep you focused.
- Plan: Behind every successful side hustle is a solid plan. How are you going to promote your side hustle? Social media, a website, or paid online ads. A well-put-together marketing strategy will help attract more customers and increase your profitability.
- Provide exceptional service: Your customers are everything, so treat them with respect, respond promptly to inquiries, and always go the extra mile. Word-of-mouth recommendations and positive reviews can significantly boost your reputation.
- Competitive pricing: Research the prices of similar products or services in your space. While it's important to make a profit, setting your prices too high can put people off. Consider offering discounts or promo packages to attract customers.
- Improve and adapt: This is relevant to both your side hustle and your skills. Do what you can to stay up-to-date with current trends and ahead of your competition. Listen to your customers and make necessary changes to ensure your products or services are top.
- Network and collaborate: Networking opens up opportunities for collaboration and business growth. Yeah, this is just a side hustle, but the aim is for success, right?!
- Track your finances: Keep a close eye on your finances to ensure that your side hustle remains profitable. Track your expenses, income, and profits regularly. Consider using accounting software or apps to simplify this process and gain a clear understanding of your financial performance.
- Stay motivated: Remember why you started your weekend side hustle and keep your goals in mind. Celebrate your achievements along the way and keep going!
Weekend side hustles to boost your income
Whether you're looking to make some extra cash online or offline, there are plenty of weekend side hustles to choose from. Online options such as freelance writing, matched betting, or tutoring can provide flexibility and convenience. On the other hand, offline side hustles like delivery driving give you a break from the digital world.
The key is to find a side hustle that fits with your skills, interests, and schedule. So which one from the article will you give a try? Find a weekend side hustle that not only boosts your income but also leaves you feeling fulfilled.